Tuesday, January 24, 2012

New Semester

You might not know this, but I am currently pursuing my Master's degree in Early Childhood Development and Elementary Education. Yeah, it's a mouthful. But, seeing as I'm homeschooling my kids and my undergrad word was in Business and Human Resources... yeah, I needed to go back to school.

Anyway, last semester was a total headache. I had two classes. One was statistics, which was interesting and useful for everyday life, but not really related to what I wanted to be talking about. The other was Home, School and Community Involvement.

First of all: In the course description, there was no comma. I thought it was about getting homeschooled students involved in the community. #PunctuationFAIL

Still, it was a required course, and I had to take it, no matter what the punctuation said and whether or not I found the content interesting. It turned out to be completely fascinating, but not in the way the professor intended, I am sure.

However, the main problem with the class was this: It was not a graduate-level course. Oh, it was labeled as such, but it just wasn't graduate-level rigor. We were expected to read the chapters and write "reflections" on said chapters every week.

I don't know about you, but every other college class I've been in has had the same definition of chapter reflections: Don't summarize, but tell me what you learned, how you felt, how this applies to your life, your work and other things you've read on the subject matter.

No, apparently this professor just wanted summaries.

That was the entire course load. Summarize the text book.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to get a good grade on my transcript and cross off a required course, but ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Sorry. I dozed off there. I mean, come on! This was basically high-school-level work, being given out in larger doses and called graduate work.

/Rant

This semester is shaping up to be a whole lot better. I have three classes:

- The second half of that statistics class. Still not really "education" or "childhood" based, but she's letting us do our big research project (80% of our grade) on whatever we want, so that's good.
- Infant and Childhood Mental Health. We talk about babies. We watch videos of babies. And soon, we'll talk about toddlers. And watch videos of toddlers. My ovaries are raging. But I love it.
- Social Competency. We talk about helping children learn and develop social cognition and competency. Since my son has Asperger's, this topic is near and dear to my heart.

I think it's going to be a great semester.

7 comments:

  1. stumbled onto your blog and just wanted to show some blog luv! def enjoyed this post! good luck with the upcoming semester!!

    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly don't know where you find the time - home schooling three kids AND three grad school classes?! Not to mention all the blogging. And all the other daily life stuff that has to happen. You're basically Wonder Woman!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technically, I'm only homeschooling one child, and it's kindergarten, so it's mostly educational play with a few drills mixed in. Two of my classes are online (read: after bedtime) and remember, I don't have a job taking up 50-70 hours of my week. There are lots of hours in the day, I just use them efficiently :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a job or children to look after and I still never get anything done!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with Melbs - you deserve Wonder Woman status! The social competency class sounds fascinating. I may be drooling a little bit. I hope you post more about it later in the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me pretty excited to get back to school.

    I'm with Kirsti though on how efficient you seem with your time. Plus the whole three small children thing? You can't help but admire.

    Good luck in your new semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks!
    I admit, I usually am pretty efficient, but I definitely don't qualify as wonder woman! And the kids? They're so awesome that they make up for any difficulties they cause me :)

    ReplyDelete