Thursday, January 26, 2012

Weird things at the gym

Weird things I saw at the gym today:

1) A woman had her cell phone strapped to her arm, presumably to plug headphones into and listen to music with. However, she had (apparently) received a call at some point and decided to answer it (yes, while working out). She had her arm in the air and her head pressed against her bicep to talk into the phone while it was still in her armband.

2) Man in a scooter, scooting around from one machine to another- including the treadmill. Lift weights- stand up- sit on scooter- scoot five feet- stand up- sit on machine- lift more weights- stand up- sit on scooter...

3) There's a woman at my gym who is unmistakably a fitness competitor.  The tan, the teeth, the hair, all combined with an very, very, very defined and toned musculature, make it really obvious what she's doing. First, she wears sunglasses while working out inside the gym. Second, I've seen her leave the gym (go out the front door) and come back ten to fifteen minutes later. Turns out? She's taking smoke breaks.

Yes. She's taking smoke breaks from her workout.

And that was all in one day, folks. 


10 comments:

  1. Wowsers. Having just come back from a Pump class, I can honestly say that my gym is lame in comparison. Although I'm still tempted to write a post about the different types of crazy people you get stuck spending an hour of your life around...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Workout and entertainment? That is hard to beat! I have been known to answer my cell phone while on the treadmill, but the heavy breathing makes me hard to understand. I would take it out of an armband, first, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. What is a pump class?
    You mentioned this on your blog, too, and I have no idea what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a class where you lift weights in time to music. So there's a squat track, a lunge track, a bicep track, a shoulder track etc etc. And you adjust the amount of weight up or down depending on which muscle group you're using. It's kind of terrifying the first time you go, and for the two days after your first class, you'll think you're going to die from the pain. But it's a lot of fun. And if my 60 year old mother can get through a class without dying, anyone can!

    Basically, it builds muscle and burns fat because it's anaerobic exercise, and you don't have to use the weights room at the gym. SCORE! Also, I promise I'm not a recruiter for a cult, which is what it sort of sounds like... O.o

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got it. We have Body Works here, and it sounds very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this the other day and couldn't comment but I love this post. So much so I'm thinking I need to get myself a scooter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right?! I've been going about this "cardio workout" thing all wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe if you combined the scooter and smoking you'd be getting a triple workout?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm all over it. Except... I don't smoke... Do you think I could take a Snickers break and have it still count?

    ReplyDelete