Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Yes, it really is that hard.

This might come as a surprise to some of you, but I struggle with my weight.

I know, shocking, right? I mean, hello! I'm in America (aka, the nation of over-eaters and restaurant diets), I had three babies in less than four years (that means I was pregnant for some part of every year for six consecutive years) and I am pretty dang busy (you know, grad school, homeschooling, church obligations, household chores, no big deal).

I'm not naturally heavy, but I do have a genetic makeup that makes me it difficult for me to lose weight. Before I was pregnant, it was simple to keep my weight under control. I wasn't skinny, but I was thin-healthy. After my first pregnancy, it took me 18 months to lose the baby weight, but I did lose it, keeping my body in a place where it hasn't been impossible to imagine being thin-healthy again.

And while I've struggled with my weight ever since then, I've been having some success recently.

Moderate success.

I overhauled my diet in October and kept up my gym habits, and I've lost 11 pounds. That's not exactly infomercial results, but it's moving in the right direction, and I can honestly say that I am down an entire pant size. Now I wear the size that I've been claiming to wear for the last two years.

I've always been a normal-healthy eater. You know, mostly healthy, but unafraid to include bacon and pasta and ice cream once in awhile. Veggies have always been present, but not the main focus. That kind of stuff. Well, I cut it ALL out. Completely. Now it's all whole grains, whole foods, natural foods, etc. It's inconvenient, to be sure, but it seems to be working. I'm losing weight, I get to eat and feel satisfied, and I feel good.

Amid this moderate success, I have a friend who is a total buzz kill. I love her, but I kind of want to knock her upside the head.

She's one of those naturally thin people. She's thin, but doesn't do anything to maintain it. And I am being completely honest when I say: I'm a little jealous, but mostly just happy for her.

I just don't appreciate when she pretends like her body and the way it works is the norm.

You know:

"My body just snapped back into place after my pregnancies. I don't know why people say it's so hard" *shrug*

"Oh my gosh! I switched my diet up, and I lost three pounds in one day!" (fast forward one day) "Wow! I lost another two pounds!" (fast forward two days) "Another two pounds down! I am loving this!"

Yeah. That's seven pounds in four days that she lost. It took me ten weeks to lose seven pounds.

In a recent conversation about healthy cooking, she recommended that I try cooking from the blog SkinnyTaste.com. I checked it out. On the first page of posts, I saw bacon, shrimp, chocolate, butter, sauteing, chicken thighs (dark meat = fat), white rice, cheese, gravy and pasta.

I don't know about you... but I can't eat any of that stuff and expect to lose weight.

I told my friend this. Her response?

"Oh, well, the blogger uses the Weight Watchers system. I don't know if you're familiar with that or not, but I did it and lost 20 pounds on it. It lets you eat anything you want and still lose weight. Besides, everyone has a different definition of the word 'healthy'."

You see? This is where I want to smack her upside the head. Seriously, she's great, except for this one topic.

1) You think I haven't heard of Weight Watchers? Way to say "you're so fat, I assume you've never even heard of the most famous diet in the world."
2) For you to have lost 20 pounds, it had to have been immediately post-childbirth, so... I discount the validity of Weight Watchers in this conversation immediately.
3) I'm happy for you. I'm glad that you can eat bacon and gravy and chocolate and lose weight. It does NOT work for me.

I love that Risha, Melbs and Katie all came to my rescue on Twitter, reassuring me that maintaining a healthy weight IS hard, and some people need to be knocked around. Even if we love them.

1 comment:

  1. I've learnt, after quite a few peaks & rather low lows, that you have to find your own balance. What works for others does not work for me- at all. I don't have the kind of body that can lose 10 kilos without any effort. And I've learnt that I don't want to lose that 10 kilos if it means losing muscle. Being thin is not my priority.
    And so, when people give me advice on what I should be doing, eating, not eating... I like to remind them that I can drop kick them into next year without breaking a sweat. It's about a sustainable lifestyle change, and if that takes me an extra 5 months to achieve, then it does. At least I know I'll stick to it & not be an obnoxious twat about it.

    ReplyDelete