Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Better Parenting Because of College

I love, love, love, love, LOVE my classes this semester.

On Tuesday mornings, I have a class called Infant and Mental Health. It's actually one of my few pre-approved electives, not one of my core, required courses. Instead of being part of the College of Education (which my program is), it is part of the College of Social Work. I am one of two people in the class who is not pursuing a Master's or PhD in Social Work.

So, I often have to ask the professor to explain clinical terms that she assumes everyone understands. I thought I knew what "borderline" meant. But I was wrong. (just to be clear: it does not mean that one is on the border between two adjacent/similar clinical diagnoses)

However, this class is making me a better parent.

The whole class is all about how early life interactions affect children in the short- and long-term. We talk about attachment disorders and how to correct them. We talk about developmental delays and how to encourage children to overcome them.

Of course, everybody else in the room is planning to use this information on strangers. (side note: is it weird that in a room of 50+ adults planning to become social workers, not ONE of them is a parent? no personal experience to draw from?)

I am planning to use it in my own life. Every single week we cover something I can use in my real life. Today, we talked about how to overcome the debilitating effects of extended hospitalizations on toddlers and preschoolers. Now, if my kid is ever seriously sick, I know how to best manage that situation, regardless of whether or not the hospital gives me the information.

I am better because of it.

Plus, you know, we get to watch videos of babies for three hours.

5 comments:

  1. As a Psych Major I learned a lot that helped me with my kids too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine! I could see a psych/nursing major being the absolutely most helpful thing in the world to a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Now I wish I could be your kids! Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great class to take. Makes sense that you'd want to apply it on your own kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I tagged you. :-)

    http://sylmion.blogspot.com/2012/02/ive-been-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete