Sunday, February 12, 2012

Rediscovering the music

I don't have an mp3 player.

Well, I do. But I don't have the little FM thingamajig that lets me listen to it on the radio. (Bonus: my spell check totally recognizes "thingamajig" as a real word.) My phone has storage space and a Pandora app, full of stations I've been carefully honing for years, but it has the same problem: no FM thingamajig.

In my old car, I had an auxiliary input to just plug the phone straight into the radio, but my new super-mom-ish minivan doesn't have that.

So I've been listening to the radio ever since we bought this van. And it sucks.

I got so fed up with it all that I went diving through the back of all our closets, looking for something that I just knew I would never have thrown away. And I was right. In the back of the playroom closet, underneath an extra computer monitor and my high school letterman's jacket (why do we have so much stuff???) I found it.

My CD collection.

Yessiree, 650 of the rockingest CDs ever. Well, to be honest, about 75 of those are my husband's. Including the Avril Lavigne album. No way am I taking responsibility for that. The techno? Yeah, it's mine. But not Sk8r Boi.

Now, you have to keep in mind that I started using mp3s exclusively in 2002, and was using them pretty extensively before that to find new music. You know, those one-off songs that I knew I was never in a bajillion years going to buy the CD. So most of the CDs in this collection were released in the nineties, with a few stragglers reaching all the way up to 2003 or so.

I am one hip and happening minivan driving, bass thumping mother.

No Doubt? New Found Glory?  Black Eyed Peas? Lit? Jimmie's Chicken Shack? NSYNC? My Chemical Romance? George Strait?

Alright, well George Strait has released several albums since then, but these were all eighties and nineties releases. In fact, the Latest, Greatest, Straitest Hits album was purchased during my senior year. In high school.

Today I drove around singing along to late nineties Clay Walker at the top of my lungs. Tomorrow, I think it's going to be Weezer's Blue Album kind of a day.

9 comments:

  1. Ah, Weezer's Blue Album. I still listen to that one on my iPod. :) I feel your pain about the awful radio! I'm so addicted to satellite radio and my iPod in the car; I'd rather have silence than our local stations. Thanks for stopping by my blog! It's nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, it's Laurie from Unavoidable Awkwardness. Sometimes my comments show up under my other google account, but I'm following under the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont know how to tell you this, but I love you even more for having a Jimmie's Chicken Shack CD. They are local boys here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay! I discovered them in high school, when they had that one song on MTV for a couple weeks. A friend told me the whole album was good, and I listened to it so much that I pretty much wore it out.

    I have to say that it's probably one of my favorite CDs in my whole collection. I had a second one (an earlier release) but I didn't think it was quite as good. I don't know what happened to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have all of my CDs, although I haven't used any of them in years. It's a strange collection, mostly soundtracks but with a lot of punk (oh HAI Me First and the Gimme Gimmes and early Good Charlotte!) thrown in. (And sadly, that Avril Lavigne CD...) And then there are the mix CDs I burnt once we got iTunes on the desktop. Perhaps when you run out of CDs to listen to, you can move on to making yourself mix CDs! Although it would probably just be cheaper to buy one of those doodads that lets you play your phone/MP3 through the radio ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ME FIRST AND THE GIMME GIMMES!!!!!

    *FLAILS*

    I didn't think it was possible, but I love you so much more for this. (Please disregard twitter duplication. Or ignore this. You choose.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love listening to CDs. :)

    Thanks for coming by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I'm from the campaign and I just wanted to stop by and say hello. Thanks for visiting my blog! :-)

    I totally remember Clay Walker. I was a huge 90s country fan . . . Travis Tritt and Marty Stuart were my favorite. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Weezer!! Pinkerton and the Blue Album are my go-to bad day albums. :) They are timeless.

    Saying hello from the campaign! Thanks for stopping by my blog and I look forward to getting to know you and your awesome taste in music.

    ReplyDelete