Monday, February 20, 2012

A Time For Flight


Our First Campaign Challenge has come! Over at Rach Writes, the challenge was presented:  

Write a short story/flash fiction story in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, including a poem. Begin the story with the words, “Shadows crept across the wall”.

I'm a little late in joining the party, but here's my entry (and it's EXACTLY 200 words, thankyouverymuch): 

Shadows crept across the wall of the princess’s chamber, slowly and deliberately.

Someone was in the room.

Iliana kept her breathing steady and her body still. If this new attacker thought her still asleep, she might catch them by surprise, giving her just enough time to throw a spell at them. She had thought the protective charms she cast around her chambers would have kept any new would-be assassins at bay, but it seemed they found a way around them, once again.

The shadow did not slow at it approached her bedside as she had expected it to; most assassins needed a brief moment to prepare themselves before actually killing a person, particularly when that person was the princess of the realm, and a powerful sorceress in her own right.

Iliana gathered her strength, preparing for the blow, but it never came. Instead, a hand was quickly placed gently but firmly over her mouth, and the man dropped his face close to hers, whispering urgently.

“I know you are awake, Princess.” It was Michael, the captain of her personal guard. “The time has come. Your father is dead, your brother has ascended the throne, and your life is now forfeit.”

26 comments:

  1. Ahh see? Now I want to know what happens!! Love it. I need to do my challenge too- haven't taken the time yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treachery most foul. Iliana needs to cast and cast fast.

    Tale Spinning: Wednesday's Child

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happens next? You're a fantastic story teller!! So, when is that book of yours coming out? I want to be high on the "first person to read it" list!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm getting ready to submit in the LDS market early this summer. I just got myself an AWESOME critique partner for my mass-market story, so the wheels will start churning there again soon. Hopefully that one will be ready to query by year's end. It takes a long time :) But I promise, I will not leave you out of the loop when the time comes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah- but where is the treachery coming from? And whose side is Michael on? Questions unanswered for now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I want to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo, what happens next??? I hope you keep going with this after the challenge is over. I love how flash fiction can sometimes lead to something bigger. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at "princess," and what a dastardly end this is, in a good way. Nice one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What happens next, Gina????? TELL ME!! TELL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! (Sorry. Seven hours in the car on the way home from Canberra today may have sent me slightly bonkers...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Princess, magic, dashing captain of the guards ... this one's got everything! And what a killer last line!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Gina. I loved your challenge. One of my favorite books I'm working on came from a writing contest prompt. It's turning out to be a three book series. You never know what will happen when you start writing.
    I'm from the Campaign! Nice to meet you and I look forward to getting to know about you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa that was a very intense scene! It kept me on the edge of my seat! I really want to know more of the story now! I'm hooked! Great job :)

    I'm entry #19

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool! I was hoping to see her powers in action, but I guess there's only so much you can do with 200 words :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love! I'm hooked my anything with a monarchy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool! You had a great hook at the beginning! Nice job! :)

    I'm #37

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh great job! I was hoping it was really a lover sneaking in. Great build up of tension. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, very Prince Caspian.

    ReplyDelete
  18. For a second there, I forgot I was reading a Campaign entry! You have my vote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought he was going to kiss her! haha. Very nice! I really didn't want to stop reading.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice work. Nice work, indeed!

    Laurie Buchanan (entry #92)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice job! I'd read on.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So did everything fade at the end?


    Lee (#126 on the Campaign Challenge List)
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dun dun DUN. I liked it! The tension was there all throughout, and that cliffhanger at the end was great. I would totally read more of this =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Intriguing. Nice build up of the tension and then you leave us with the cliffhanger. Wonder what's going to happen to her now!

    ReplyDelete