Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I don't follow rules well.

I don't follow rules very well. Alright. That's not actually true. I follow rules extremely well. I belong to a religion that is full of rules, and I love them. I am the person that you hate at work who says things like "That's not what the company handbook says." or "That's not in line with corporate policy."

I think rules are in place to protect us, to keep order in the world, or to streamline processes. ALL GOOD THINGS.

However, when rules contradict one another or are not communicated clearly, I tend to go all limp and play dead. Cuz if I'm dead, then I can't be expected to follow your super-confusing rules, right?

So this is my really long way of explaining that I'm not going to play by the rules for the three different tags I've been given this past week. Everybody explained the rules slightly differently, or forgot to give out new questions, or something, so...

I'M MAKING UP MY OWN RULES- YAY!!!

So here's seven random things about me, since that seems to be the unifying theme amongst these tags:

1) I once stood in line for NSYNC tickets for fourteen hours. I mean, I sat down for most of that time, and actually slept in a sleeping bag for some of it, too, but... you know what I mean. Fourteen hours. And it was totally worth it.

2) People think I am capable of all kinds of weird things. Things that a) I am not capable of and b) nobody is capable of. Examples? In eighth grade, my science teacher said "You can't feel the difference in only a half a degree in the room, but it makes a difference in your body temperature." A kid in the class said, in all seriousness, "Gina can, I'm pretty sure." Whaaaaaaaaaat? Also, every single person I knew in high school came to me to confirm song lyrics. "Gina, are they saying 'Won't stop to the rhythm that you bop to' or 'Won't stop to the rhythm that has got you'?" (answer: neither. go away.)

3) I can play the piano upside down. 

4) I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in thirteen hours, straight through. Our bookstore gave out bracelets for the midnight release, I got mine on my lunch hour and then left work early to sleep. I slept from 5:00 till 11:50 PM, when I rolled out of bed and drove to the bookstore. I held up my bracelet with the number "17" on it, walking past hundreds of glaring, angry people until I was #17 in line. I bought my book at 12:02 AM, drove home and read until about 1:00 that afternoon. Also totally worth it.

5) I once spit milk all over a missionary. The joke wasn't even that funny, and the poor missionary who got spit on isn't even the one who told the joke.

6) I was dumped by the same guy twice. Not because we broke up and got back together, but because I didn't realize he had dumped me the first time, and he had to do it again a week later. True story.

7) I once fell completely across one of my employee's desks. In my defense, I was seven months pregnant and wearing very, very high heels. It was my first pregnancy and I hadn't realized that my center of balance had shifted quite so much. So, Awkward Boss of the Year award goes to me, yes? Yes. I also freaked this same employee out in a big, big way by going into false labor during his annual evaluation six weeks later.

Oh, and before you all go, I want to thank Laurie, Amber and Patricia for tagging me. You guys rock. Even if I don't follow your rules, you still rock.





5 comments:

  1. I feel like the piano one should include a link to a video of this. Just saying,

    And I love rules. I try to pretend I don't.....but yeah. I'm still that "good kid" who knows and follows most rules. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for breaking the rules! I am also a compulsive rule-follower but also broke the rules for this tag thing :)

    This whole post cracked me up :) And I also read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows straight through -- Mike was staying on campus for the summer and I was visiting him, and the campus bookstore was having some big release party at around 9am but they let us get our books early (meaning 8:30am) because they said it was just going to be a bunch of little kids. And then I read until I finished it at 1am. Good times :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were drinking milk, each one of these would've made me spit it out. That employee must've been all, "REALLY?!" At least, that would've been my reaction to the whole falling over and false labor thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also read the Deathly Hallows straight through....I don't remember how long it took me, but I know that I planned to have that day off of work. HP is serious business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fourteen hours! Then you'll probably need to re-watch this, just like I did multiple times today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbdwVyyZ4rc

    ReplyDelete