Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Hangers

You may recall I said I am terrible at opening lines. 

However, I am fantastic at "hangers-" the lines at the end of a chapter that make you turn the page, no matter how bleary-eyed you may be at the time. I can keep you coming back for more.

Today I am participating in Falling For Fiction's Hookers and Hangers Blog Hop, and we are featuring hangers, those last lines of a chapter or book.




“Wouldn’t I know if I was dating somebody?”
“You would think.”

For the first time since she arrived, she understood what it meant to be Immortal. 

Why, then, did she feel the overwhelming urge to kill somebody?



I guess that also means that we technically broke up.
 
I climb in, trying really hard not to worry about the fact that this guy has never even heard of Sixteen Candles


I decide it’s easier to just drop the subject and focus on the fact that The Princess Bride is on, since nothing else really matter when you have a young Cary Elwes to watch all night. 

Tonight, I will start being a good girlfriend.  

“Shall we, then?”
“Shall we what?”
“Go and get you a name.”


        I give him the same answer as I did four and a half years ago, and we move toward the dance floor together. 
 
        By the time I’ve finished my burger, we’ve made enough plans to fill four or five summers together, and I have no idea how we’re going to do all the things we plan to do in the short amount of time we have to do it. 


My blood runs cold at the thought. 


They have perspective, and they are able to see things that nobody was able to see in the heat of the moment. 


For now, I will have to be content with just knowing that this pain can be erased somehow, even if just temporarily.


Yes, I know that a couple of them are not technically a single line, but I thought it necessary to give you a teensy bit of context to help demonstrate why the closing line is as dramatic as it is. 

There you have it. 

Now, head over to the blog hop and check out everybody else's hangers! 
 

16 comments:

  1. "I climb in, trying really hard not to worry about the fact that this guy has never even heard of Sixteen Candles."

    NUH-UH GIRL. RED FLAG! ;)

    Loved that line, obviously, and so many others of these. Needless to say that I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily Rittel-KingJuly 18, 2012 at 9:33 AM

    "Tonight, I will start being a good girlfriend. "

    Okay, I have to read this. They're all excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, as soon as I read, "Tonight I start being a good girlfriend.' I wondered if that meant not making him watch chick flicks from the 80's ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth SeckmanJuly 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM

    Dead people, relationships, 16 Candles, AND the Princess Bride? I am most certainly intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything with a Sixteen Candles ref is a big win for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love the one about Sixteen Candles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In her defense, she never once made him watch a single chick flick! ;) Though it does sound that way... I'll admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's one of my favorite lines in the whole book, actually :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's actually a funny story that goes with that line.

    And I just wrote the whole story out, and it's, like, five hundred words, so I'm just gonna blog it, kay?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I've got echo the other sentiments here! ALL the lines are killer, but you had me at Sixteen Candles and "a young Cary Elwes". Ha-cha-cha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot pick a favorite. I love the Sixteen Candles one! And the one about going to get a name. The last one makes me sad. SO good. Thanks for participating!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of those are excellent! I really like "Why, then, did she feel the overwhelming urge to kill somebody?" but I couldn't pick a favourite one. Makes me want to read that book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great lines - but I too am struggling to pick a favourite. At first I thought this one:

    Why, then, did she feel the overwhelming urge to kill somebody?

    But then I read the one about the Princess Bride and ohhhh I so concur with that sentiment! hehe. I also love this one:

    Tonight, I will start being a good girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I loved all the dialog, I'm glad you didn't just go with the one line :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha. This one is great. 'Why, then, did she feel the overwhelming urge to kill somebody?' Totally makes me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete