Monday, September 10, 2012

Memes I Hate- Volume 1

If you're on Pinterest or Tumblr, I'm sure you've seen this little gem:
Whether you've seen it before or not, please read it carefully. 

Now, I know this was probably written by some sixteen year old airhead, and I shouldn't take it so seriously, but here's what I hate about it: 

"Pick her up and pretend you're going to throw her in the pool. SHE'LL SCREAM AND FIGHT YOU, but secretly, she'll LOVE IT." 

and then this: 

"Tickle her, EVEN WHEN SHE SAYS STOP."

and:

"Get her mad, then kiss her." which is really just reiterating the earlier version of "When she starts swearing at you, tell her you love her."

What manipulative pre-rape education is this???

Girls, here's a hint: We do not want to be teaching boys (who will someday be men) that when we say "NO" we really mean "YES." 

Girls, here's another hint: When you are justifiably angry, do not let him kiss you or say he loves you and then get away with whatever bad behavior he was doing. 

I suppose it's possible that this was written by a boy, but let's be honest, it's extremely unlikely. It seems to be an endless stream of single teenaged and twenty-something girls pinning, reblogging and forwarding this meme. It reeks of "girl" in every pathetic line. 

So, please. 

Stop this meme.



9 comments:

  1. Yeah, it lost me after that first sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Written by Ana Steele at age 15.

    -_-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I hadn't seen this before, and...yeah. What you said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, definitely written by a teenager. I would have loved it at 16, now it just makes me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate this meme, too. Mostly because it sounds exactly like my one teenage (clearly unhealthy) relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very disturbing. It's like the adolescent/early-twenties version of "if a boy hits you, it means he likes you." Ick!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, yeah. I ranted and raved about this, not only because it teaches boy that no means yes, but also because it is INACCURATE. I dated a couple guys who'd obviously internalized this garbage, and despite the fact that they were incredibly nice, the relationship did not last.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plus, my sons are sweet, loving little guys, and I'm going to want to punch somebody in the head if those loving little guys ever get in trouble for tickling a girl when she says no because stupid memes like this have taught them that that's how good guys should interact with girls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Final thought: I'm going to teach my sons that this is terrible advice. Even though this meme's popularity indicates that there are obviously girls who actually feel this way, I don't want them dating those kinds of girls. If she says stop, he should instantly stop, and if that annoys her because she didn't REALLY want him to stop, then I want their relationship to end immediately anyway. Let her dump him.

    ReplyDelete