Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Next Big Thing Hop

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop is a little game the writers of the internets have devised to introduce you to all the amazing up-and-coming (whether published or not) writers out there. I'm telling you a little bit about the book I'm working on now, and introduce you to five of my writing friends.

Here goes...


1- What is the working title of your book?

I am the WORST at titles. For now, the series has a working title of Evil Intentions, but I'm not sold on that and am completely willing to change it at the very first suggestion from an editor or agent or publisher.


2- Where did the idea come from for the book?

An agent said, "It would be cool to see a fairy tale told from the villain's perspective." And I took it one step further and made the villain the hero, and the traditional hero now is the villain.


3- What genre does your book fall under?

High Fantasy. Magic, swords, cloaks, the whole bit.


4- Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Right now, I see someone like Catherine Zeta-Jones as the main character (you know her as the Wicked Stepmother, but I simply call her Queen Anastasia). I like the idea of having the stepmother look very much like an older version of Snow White in many ways- it makes the jealousy a little more believable. And while she is the protagonist, her motives are not always pure, and she needs to be believable as someone with shaky morals.

For Snow White, I see someone who looks very much like Samantha Barks. Now, I have no idea if Samantha Barks could pull anything like this off. Snow White is a villain in this story, and Samantha Barks' only claim to fame is playing a very lovestruck, sympathetic character. But, golly, she is pretty, and I could believe a lot of 40 year old women being jealous of her:


I'm in the very earliest stages, still carving out the rough draft, so I can't answer this very well. This is a topic very near and dear to my heart, and I cannot give you glib answers, so you will have to wait until I know my characters better to get better answers than this.


5- What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Snow White is not who you think she is- she is a spoiled, angry, dangerous girl, and her stepmother, the Queen, will stop at nothing to protect her kingdom.


6- Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I plan to go the traditional route. I have no interest in cover design or negotiating my contracts or anything like that. I have a story to tell. The rest is business.


7- How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I started September 29th, and I'm 35K into the story with (I'm guessing) around 40K more to go. I took six weeks off while recovering from a miscarriage. First draft will take around five weeks of actual writing time.


8- What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

I'm most inspired by the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind and the Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima. And while there are some stylistic/storytelling similarities to those books, I can in no way claim that my series is the "next" of either of these.


9- Who or What inspired you to write this book?

I pretty much answered this in #2...


10- What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

It's a female driven story, with none of the garbage that generally makes up a female driven story. (i.e. - the female characters are not defined by how/when they choose to have sex with the male characters) There is a love story intertwined in here, but it's certainly not the core of the novel. This is the story of a woman who has a complicated life, a set of relateable problems, and one really impossible task set before her, and she has to deal with it all on her own.

Now I'm supposed to tag five more writing bloggers so y'all can go read their blogs and get to know their writing projects. The Next Big Thing just might be hiding amongst these blogs...

J. Meyers - A fellow Parenthetical Chick, a like-minded soul, and just an all around cool gal.

Darci Cole - A fellow Arizonan, mother of a couple of cute little babies, and a writer of middle-grade/ young adult fantasy.

Morgan Shamy - A spunky redhead if you ever met one, using writing as a balm to her soul.

Jo Perry - One of the more prolific writers around (seriously, her fingers must type at supersonic speeds) and a flat-out awesome person.

Sarah Anne Hayes - Literary writer who is one of the sweetest and funniest people I've met in the interwebs.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds very interesting! I can't wait to read it in hard cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome- now you're doing Fantasy Casting on your own book! It sounds really cool- I like the idea that maybe there was more to the stepmother than just jealousy.

    I was just reading about Samantha Barks today and thinking about how I hope Les Mis is the start of a lot of good things for her. Maybe the movie adaptation of your book will be one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! Thanks, ma'am! You're quite awesome yourself. :)


    And your book sounds fascinating. I've always loved looking at stories from different perspectives, in the "there's always two sides to every story" kind of way. I can't wait to read it when you finish!

    ReplyDelete