Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Balance.

Reading everyone's end-of-the-year/beginning-of-the-year posts made me feel more than a little... insignificant.

I had a good year in 2012. I read a lot of books. I wrote a book. I wrote a first draft of a second book. I had a lot (LOT) of personal stuff happen too, some of which I've shared here on this blog, some of which I haven't.

I read 70 books - by the skin of my teeth - and wrote one and a half. And I read fast. And type fast. So I felt like I was doing pretty well.

Then I read everybody else's lists. Everybody else read eighty, ninety, a hundred, two hundred, three hundred books (no exaggeration). They wrote five books, ten books, twelve books. They published six books, in three different markets.

This coming year I have a goal to read 70 books again. And to write two books. I hope to have one in pre-publication and one with an agent by the end of the year.

Then I read everybody else's goals. To write five books. Publish ten books.

You get the idea.

But one person put a non-book related goal on her list.

She wanted to spend time with her family. She wasn't sure she had done a single family-centered activity last year.

And then I got it.

I'm a wife, a mother, a homeschooling parent. I am all of these things before I am a writer. I may not have written as much as you, but I took my kids to Disneyworld nine times this year. I took them to the science center. The pool. The beach. The playground (oh, the number of playgrounds we've seen this year!). The dinosaur museum. The zoo. The splashpads, the playplaces. We've wrestled and built forts and Lego castles and puppet stages.

I'm living outside my books, too.


So I'm okay with my goals. They're smaller than yours. But that's my idea of balance.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad for you that you *want* to be balanced. Personally, I wouldn't want to focus on any one thing so much that I miss something else important.


    I sew instead of writing, and I'm an engineer and not a parent, but the theory is similar. I know women who've sewn an outfit (or more!) each week all year, where I'd be lucky to have made one item a month. But that's fine, I was doing other stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing that you feel this way as I always think of you and think of how much you seem to milk out of life. And, of course, the first fact that comes to mind is that you have those three young boys. You are truly a spokeswoman for balance and achievement and I mean it in the most honest and non-flattery-for-the-hell-of-it way.



    Like your face. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that balance is important. To be honest, I lost a lot of my balance even when I was just dating Office Boy. Now, I'd never been in a legitimate relationship before, so that was a whole new learning experience to begin with, but I know that the next time I am in a relationship, I need to take time to do the writing and the reading that I so love to do.



    And I agree with Lorraine, you are truly very good at the whole "balancing a family" and "being a writer" thing. I hope I'll be able to do it one day without turning into a perpetual ball of stress. :)

    ReplyDelete