Friday, June 21, 2013

I did a thing.

The amazing Kristin McFarland is hosting a series called "Why I Write..." in which genre fiction writers tell about their decision to write genre fiction. You know, as opposed to the "real" stuff: literary or even upmarket fiction.

It's a fantastic series, featuring women's fiction, paranormal romance, fantasy, dystopian, new adult, and pretty much anything else that gets frowned upon by all those "real" literary types out there. The whole point is to talk about why these genre stories are so fabulous, why we love to read them and why we chose to write them.

I was asked to contribute my opinions on epic fantasy, which is just what my series of stories happens to be classified as.

So, go here: Why I Write Epic Fantasy to read more. If you want a quick blurb, check it out:

This particular genre is the ultimate escape. It’s the fulfillment of childhood daydreams. Dragons and elves and a whole other world that feels just enough familiar to be real, but so fantastical that it might also be a dream. I have the utmost respect for people who proudly proclaim their enjoyment of epic fantasy because it says, “I want to believe in something amazing.” And we need more people who are willing to believe in something amazing, if only for a few hours at a time.


1 comment:

  1. Hahaha... it's so true with fantasy not being "real" stories... I'm an urban fantasy writer, but also love all types of fantasy. I LOVE your reason for writing epic fantasy... it's the same reason I write--I'm trying to tap into that magic of childhood!

    ReplyDelete