Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Bookish Questions

Favorite book cover
I know I'm starting this off badly, but I am indifferent to covers. Considering I read mostly science fiction and fantasy, and those books generally have really bad covers, or really cliche covers, or whatever, I'm just not that bothered by them. Seriously though. I throw away book jackets. 

What are you reading right now?
Code Name Verity. I'm about 80 pages in and I think it's good, but I just don't see what the hype is about. I'm assuming there's a twist of some kind coming that will send me reeling. I hope so. 

Do you have any idea what you'll read when you're done with that?
On my nightstand, I currently have Posession by Elana Johnson, Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond, Smart Move by Melanie Jacobson, and Felicite Found by Julia King. I have no idea which one I'm going to read next though. 



What five books have you always wanted to read but haven't gotten round to?
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, Gone with the Wind, Brave New World, at least some of the Stephanie Plum books, oh... I don't know. I have this huge TBR list on Goodreads. But the ones I've "always" wanted to read? I've mostly gotten around to those. 

What magazines do you have in your bathroom/lounge right now?
Since the appearance of the iPhone in my home, I feel no need for magazines. 

What's the worst book you've ever read?
It was a self-published book that I won't name because I it was so terrible it made me want to put my fingers through my eyeballs, into my brain and swirl it all around. (five points for the reference) 

What book seemed really popular but you didn't like it?
I'm gonna go with Wither. Or Catcher in the Rye. That one just does not appeal to me. 

What's the one book you always recommend to just about anyone?
Harry Potter. Next question. 



What are your three favorite poems?
I don't "get" poetry. So, maybe song lyrics are the closest I'll come to being able to say I like poetry. 

Where do you usually get your books?
From the library. Now that we aren't broke grad students any more, I'm trying to buy more books, particularly from indie and debut authors. But the Cassandra Clares of the world? LIBRARY. For sure. 

When you were little, did you have any particular reading habits?
Yes. There was a limit of ten books out at a time from the library. So I would pick a shelf in the "YOUTH" section, grab ten books in a row. Read those. Bring them back. It usually took a week. By the time I started high school, I had read the entire "YOUTH" section and wanted to go to the adult section. My mother did not let me because those were books for grown-ups and who knows what I might have encountered. 

It didn't matter because high school killed my love of reading and I didn't read for fun again until I was 22

What's the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was too good to put down?
I'm a parent of three children who wake every day at 5:00 AM. I don't stay up late into the night. I think the last time I did was . . . Oh! I checked my Goodreads, it was Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi. The first two books, Shatter Me and Destroy Me were also unputdownable. 


Have you ever "faked" reading a book?
Yes. Did you not hear the story about high school killing my love of reading? I faked reading pretty much all books in high school.

(I've since gone back and re-read some of the ones that I felt like I "should" read and in about half the cases, I wasn't missing anything.)

Have you ever bought a book just because you liked the cover?
No. We've been broke for the last several years (law school does that to a family), so all purchases are very carefully planned. 

What was your favorite book when you were a child?
The Hobbit. From the time I can remember, that was my favorite. 


What book changed your life?
I have to go with books of scripture here. I know you want novels, but it's just not true for me. The Book of Mormon really has changed my life. Over and over again. 

What is your favorite passage from a book?
Aw, see, now I feel sort of obliged to quote scripture... 

But I will play the game the way it's meant to be played. 

I feel like I should post a Harry Potter quote, but Tahereh Mafi just slays me with her words: 

"I want to be the friend you fall hopelessly in love with. The one you take into your arms and into your bed and into the private world you keep trapped in your head. I want to be that kind of friend. The one who will memorize the things you say as well as the shape of your lips when you say them. I want to know every curve, every freckle, every shiver of your body. 

I want to know where to touch you, I want to know how to touch you. I want to know convince you to design a smile just for me. Yes, I do want to be your friend. I want to be your best friend in the entire world.
” 


Who are your top five favorite authors?
This should surprise no one. 

JK Rowling
Terry Goodkind
Orson Scott Card
Roger Zelazny
C.S. Lewis

What book has no one heard about but should read?
I wouldn't say no one has heard of this series, but it is definitely under-appreciated. High Fantasy with a sci-fi feel, it's Fred Saberhagen's Lost Swords series. These books stick with you for long, long after you stop reading. So much to think about, so much to chew on. 


What book are you an "evangelist" for?
I'm becoming an evangelist for Mafi. People aren't reading those books, they're being dismissed as "another Hunger Games imitator." And while they share some very superficial similarities with THG, they are so, so, so different, and I really think everyone will love them. 

And, of course, Harry Potter. 

What are your favorite books by a first time author?
Uh, Harry Potter.

What is your favorite classic book?
I don't love "classics" the way a lot of people do. I love the story of Les Miserables, but good golly did Victor Hugo ramble on and on about stuff that didn't matter. I love the arc of the D'Artagnan stories, but Dumas was really a blow hard and his characters are really caricatures. 

I dunno. Does Narnia count as a classic? It's, like, sixty years old and people still love it, so that makes the cut, yes? 

Five other notable mentions?
Books I've loved recently, how's that? Okay, Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series (a thousand times better than the Uglies series), Kristin Cashore's Graceling, all of Michelle Moran's work, Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn, and Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms series. Such an outstanding YA Epic Fantasy.

Please do this. I want to read all about all the books you love. Then leave your link in the comments so I can find you :)

6 comments:

  1. What a great list of book talk! The Hobbit was my fav as a child because I love dragons. I do have to admit I go by the cover. But not anymore. I love helping support indie authors especially with AZ Author Chat. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Burdette RussellAugust 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM

    So doing this tmrw . first of all, now I will have to read 100 more books because I love a series and you recommended lots of series. Secondly, have you read the Book Of Deacon series??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not. Who writes them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah Burdette RussellAugust 15, 2013 at 8:17 PM

    His name is Joseph Lallo. The first one, The Book of Deacon is free on Kindle and Nook. They are fantasy. Lots of magic and battles.I love the characters so much. He just released Rise of the Red Shadow, which is a prequel and it was so good. They are long books, but I really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did a 2-part post for these on my blog. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know! I've been reading your answers :)

    ReplyDelete